Published On: Sat, Dec 14th, 2019

Brexit news: Lord Heseltine glumly finally admits he’s failed to stop Brexit ‘We’ve lost’ | UK | News


Former Deputy Prime Minister Lord Michael Heseltine spoke to Sky News following the election, calling on Remainers to “face up” to the fact they had lost. The Tory peer came under fire earlier in the campaign for his shocking plea to voters to back the Liberal Democrats in order to stop Boris Johnson’s Brexit. However, with a “thumping” Conservative majority win, Lord Heseltine was forced to admit the public didn’t “listen to him”.

He told Sky: “You have to be modest about the role you play in life.

“They didn’t listen because they wanted to get out of the austerity and they saw Brexit as a route to do that.

“I think it’s much more complicated than that.

“We’ve lost, we have to face up to that, we’re going to leave Europe.”

READ MORE: BBC Laura Kuennsberg reveals Boris Johnson’s ‘big domestic reset’

Lord Heseltine also slammed fellow Remainers for trying to “keep the fight going”, telling them that it is “time now to draw a line”.

He said: “The reality is that Boris Johnson has got a thumping parliamentary majority.

“There’s no way that they will not get their legislation through in very short order.

“We will leave the European Union.”

Lord Heseltine served in cabinet under Tory Prime Ministers Edward Heath, Margaret Thatcher and John Major.

He had the whip removed in May this year after saying he would vote for the Lib Dems rather than his own party at the European Parliament elections.

He described the decision as a personal “experiment”.

He also said it was a “delusion” that Boris Johnson would get Brexit done by January 31 given he has not started talks over a UK-EU trade deal.

Lord Heseltine has confirmed he is still a member of the Conservative Party.



Source link

Most Popular News

Brexit news: Lord Heseltine glumly finally admits he’s failed to stop Brexit ‘We’ve lost’ | UK | News